ATV Tonneau Cover
Load an ATV on your Tonneau Cover
So you want to haul an ATV on your Tonneau cover. Most Tonneau covers CANNOT haul an ATV. Generally, a full-sized truck with a long bed is forced to carry an ATV or a smaller UTV in the truck bed. Compact trucks can usually only carry youth sized ATVs. Having the truck bed full limits the capability to store the needed ATV gear and accessories.
There is only one heavy-duty truck cover that CAN haul an ATV, and that’s the Renegade Bed Cover. It has a sleek and durable tri-fold design that can fold up and be removed completely within seconds, and can secure motorcycles, ATVs, UTVs, and more. So how exactly does it work?
What to know before loading an ATV on your Tonneau Bed Cover
First, you want to start by making sure that your bed cover can handle the heavy payload of an ATV. The Renegade cover can haul up to 2,000 lbs, and the average weight of an all-terrain vehicle is 500 lbs.
Second, determine the ATV’s dimensions to see if the truck bed can carry it. Even though you may be able to fit a bigger ATV on top of your truck bed cover with the tailgate down, you have to be careful that you are not putting too much weight on the tailgate. You could risk breaking the cables, which may damage the tailgate and truck bed cover.
How to load an ATV on top of a Tonneau Cover?
Below are the steps to correctly and safely load an ATV on top of the truck bed cover.
Note: (Renegade Covers does not take any legal responsibility for any damage done to ATV, Truck, or Cover if loaded incorrectly)
1. Make sure the Renegade Tonneau Cover is in the locked position.
2. Attach a winch to the cab section of the cover, or use the winch that is attached to the ATV.
3. It is recommended to have the headache racks in place.
4. Open the tailgate. This step is very important as many of the newer tailgate designs are not flush with the cover. If you do not open the tailgate before attaching the ramps you may damage your tailgate.
5. Attach the ramps to the bed cover. Line each ramp up on the bed cover with the ATV’s wheels. Make sure the ramp is securely attached to keep it from falling off when loading.
You can find a plethora of ramps on the market. Be sure to pick a good set from a reputable company designed to take the amount of weight you are applying.
6. Attach the winch cable to the ATV or cover, and pull the ATV on top of the cover.
7. Now that the ATV is on the Tonneau Cover, attach the HD quick release tiedown rings and then strap it onto the cover. Renegade Tonneau Covers recommend using Shock Straps. These straps will not lose tension while in transit, and they are heavy-duty enough to give you peace of mind that the payload will not move.
Renegade Tonneau Cover (original)
Renegade cover is a highly modular, heavy-duty tonneau cover for your truck with top in class for security and functionality.
- Weight Bearing up to 2,000 lbs
- Made with military-grade aluminum construction
- Integrated L-Track for multiple accessory mounting
- 4 Heavy-Duty anchor points included with the purchase
Looking for Compatible ATV Ramps?
Renegade Covers does not manufacture its own ATV ramps. Simply because why reinvent the wheel? It is recommended to purchase ramps from Discount Ramps
Securing The Ramps To The Tonneau Cover
Safety is key to loading an ATV on top of your truck bed cover. We recommend purchasing the ramps above and then drilling holes in the flange where the ramps sit on the cover. Using the threaded L-Track Stud lock down the nut securing it in place. This will prevent the ramp from slipping off the Cover.
Before loading an ATV on top of your tonneau cover, you need to consider several factors, including the ATV’s dimension and the truck bed cover’s strength. Be sure to religiously follow the proper steps when loading the ATV onto the truck bed to ensure safety and avoid damages on both the truck bed and ATV. Disclaimer: Renegade Covers does not retain the responsibility if any person or equipment is damaged during the loading and offloading of an ATV. Operate at your own risk.