Whether you’re going to a National Park for the weekend, or headed out on a day hike, the essentials remain the same. Take a look at the following to make sure you have what you need to keep in your truck, in order to navigate life’s unexpected twists and turns.
Necessary Tools and Parts to Keep in Your Truck
You never know when roadside assistance isn’t available, so it’s smart to bring along a spare tire, jack, and lug wrench. It could also be quite helpful to store socket wrenches, pliers, flat and phillips-head screwdrivers, gloves, duct tape, and zip ties in your truck.
Depending on your off-road interests, a tire deflator may come in handy to drop the psi of your tires. On the other hand, an air compressor may be equally, if not more, important to have on hand. Extra oil and coolant may not be a bad idea either.
- Spare Tire
- Lug Wrench or Breaker Bar
- Socket Wrenches
- Flat and Phillips Head Screwdrivers
- Duct Tape
- Zip Ties
- Tire Deflator
- Air Compressor
- Oil and Coolant
Keep the Basics and Pack for Emergencies
While you won’t plan to run out of gas, having extra fuel on hand may help stave off the anxiety. The same is true for keeping a fire extinguisher in your truck. You don’t want to have to use it, but if it’s needed you’ll be glad you have it! Another basic to keep in your truck are tie-downs or ratchet straps. Their uses are limitless, so invest in good ones to use for the long-haul.
If you’re headed off the beaten path, it may be worthwhile to bring along traction boards, which can help you get out of mud, snow, or sand. Also, you never know when a tow strap and attachment hardware will be necessary. If you really want to be prepared, you’ll want to pack a spade or shovel of some kind, plus an axe or saw.
- Extra Fuel
- Fire Extinguisher
- Tie Downs
- Traction Boards
- Tow Strap
- Spade or Shovel
- Axe or Saw
The Ten Essentials to Keep in Your Truck
According to Leave No Trace, the following 10 essentials will help ensure you’re prepared in any situation:
- Food – Bring what you need, plus a little extra.
- Water – LNT suggests traveling with a 7 gallon water jug. Make a plan for refilling it, either with safe water or bringing a filter.
- Emergency Shelter – You could add an overlanding set-up to your Renegade Cover, but that’s not exactly what this item is about. Here, LNT suggests bringing a reflective space blanket, which is a tiny thing to carry, but crucial in unexpected situations.
- Extra Clothes – Make sure you have clothes for all weather conditions, and in case you need to change after getting wet. A rain shell or poncho is crucial.
- Multi-Tool or Knife – You never know when you’ll need it!
- Navigation – Rather than relying on your phone, bring a physical map of where you’re headed and a compass. It’s fine to download a map on your device, but these provide an important backup in case your battery dies or something happens to your phone.
- Illumination – Bring a flashlight or headlamp, and extra batteries.
- First Aid Kit – Check out the Red Cross’s recommendations for what to include.
- Fire – Pack an extra lighter or matches!
- Heat/Sun Protection – Sunglasses and a hat can make all the difference in the heat of the day!
Get Ready and on the Road
Now that you have your packing list, it’s time to head to the store. Unsure how you’re going to fit all this in your cab? Order your Renegade Cover and you’ll have all the locked, weather-wise storage you need.
Plus, as the strongest truck bed cover on the market, you can even transport cargo on top of your Renegade Cover. However you want to get organized – with your tools and gear underneath, and your toys (read: kayaks, ATV, mountain bikes) on top of your tonneau cover – the options are limitless with Renegade.
Renegade Tonneau Cover (original)
Renegade cover is a highly modular, heavy-duty tonneau cover for your truck with top in class for security and functionality.
- Weight Bearing up to 2,000 lbs
- Made with military-grade aluminum construction
- Integrated L-Track for multiple accessory mounting
- 4 Heavy-Duty anchor points included with the purchase